Tuesday 21 July 2009

Metal Flower Mini Class

Hello :) well as promised yesterday I have a metal flower mini class to share with you.
I was inspired by some flowers that Leandra of Paper Artsy had done but I didn't have the different products & tools that she had so I kind of made my own version & this is how I did it :

1. I used punches to cut out the flower shapes, 2 different sizes. (you could use punches of butterflies or similar !)
I punched out flowers in both thin sheet metal (from 10 second studios, available at artist trading post of course lol )& also out of card.



2. Next I glued the metal flowers to the cardboard ones, this meant that I could curl the petals without them being too flexible so that I could use them on a project without them flattening out again or getting crushed.



3.Once they were dry I used my cuttlebug & embossing folders to give them a more textured look.



4. I then alcohol inked them, layered up some of them, curled the petals & added brads ... voila metal flowers ready for your altered art projects, cards or layouts.

15 comments:

  1. Is it the metal that comes in rolls or the heavier sheets?
    I've started the shopping list as I gave away my flower punches and I will have to find a friend with a cuttle bug... or have one for xmas ...got the inks though lol

    Love the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angie :) ((waves))
    I used the metal that comes in a roll ... but there's nothing to stop you using 'other' metals .. if you have any of the silver duct tape that you get for a couple of pounds from DIY shops you can stick it to the cardboard & cut out & emboss afterwards .. alcohol inks work well on that ..( though you wouldn't be able to shape it) & off course you don't nesc' need punches you could stick your metal to the card stock first & then just cut out your own design :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh these are incredible...so textured and dimensional...love them and so will lots of other like minded people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These flowers are beautiful, must get my alcohol inks out of hibernation and give it a go. Thanks for sharing the technique with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the advice ... I'm sure there is some of that silver duck tape somewhere in the house. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry ... It's me again ... I have a little something ,waiting for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful! I so wish they had let me bring my alcohol inks into Saudi... its not like I would have drunk them!! I'll have to give it a go without the inks instead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I love these. Off to try them now as I have everything to hand

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I love these. Off to try them now as I have everything to hand

    ReplyDelete
  10. These re lovely!! I have those same punches too!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's really clever - simple but clever all in one go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are lovely thanks for sharing, definitely have a go at these
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are really lovely. I thought they looked pretty in the picture before you embossed them but afterwards they are just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks so much for sharing.....theses are gorgeous!!! Thanks
    kazx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, yummy! I have some self-adhesive thin sheet metal, I could try this technique without having to buy anything in, most unusual!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. They are much appreciated :o)

Crafty Blogs